Upper Deck & Shield Deck
The engraving is from a photograph taken on 18 January 1878, soon after Captain Mandeville's appointment. It was sent home to the Captain's mother who sent it to The Graphic newspaper. The newspaper made an engraving & published it in their edition on 13 April 1878.
image from The Graphic, 13 April 1878
This image shows the original length of the flying deck with the aft mast temporarily removed
Captain Mandeville is seated in the front row.
band Compass Skylight.
courtesy of John Baragwanath.