Each Gun Turret held two 10 inch Rifled Muzzle Loading Guns which were fired electrically. Initially the firing was done by hand but later they could be fired from the Conning Tower. The Turrets were 6.4 metres in diameter. Into this space, as well as the 2 guns were half of each Turret crew's complement of 16. Each gun crew consisted of 15 men (7 in turret) per gun. There was also a Turret Captain and a Second Captain (both in the turret). The Turret's rotation was achieved by steam engines or manually if the boilers were not lit. sketch "A peep into the turret of the Devastation"
The Graphic August 16 1873
mouseover red dot.