|Below are listed significant dates for HMVS (ex HMS) Nelson. Anyone able to add events to those listed is asked to e-mail the details to the webmaster. We are also keen to know of images that illustrate events or simply photos that we do not know about.|
|Place mouse over|
1805, 23 November
Ordered just a month after the Battle of Trafalgar, Nelson's bow was the first change in bow design for 200 years. The raised bow of the three Nelson class ships protected the men against raking fire from ahead and was a direct result of Admiral Nelson's tactic of crossing the T at Trafalgar.
1809, 14 November
Keel laid down.
Nelson on the stocks building with Sir Robert Sepping’s newly invented round bow, replacing the old square beak-head bulkhead. The round bow gave additional strength allowing the guns to be mounted further forward & the raised bulwalks provided protection to raking fire from ahead.
1814, 4 July
Nelson was the largest Line-of-Battleship built up to that date in England and was launched in front of 20,000 spectators at the King's Yard in Woolwich.
1814, 10 August
1814, 31 August
Arrived in Portsmouth harbour under tow.
Beautifully ornamented square stern replaced by a round one.
Although there is no evidence that Nelson every went to sea under sail, this painting was obviously inspired by the full masts fitted the previous year now allowing her to do so.
Masts removed and fitted to HMS Powerful.
Returned to Ordinary Mooring.
Copper hull inspected and found to have been eaten away. Impure metal.
Listed as a first rate at Portsmouth with a crew of 970 men.
Placed in dock for conversion to a 91 gun screw ship. Nelson was cut down by one deck, lengthened by 29 feet and had a 500 hp engine fitted. As the sides fell in towards the top, Nelson measured as being wider after the conversion, but was not actually widened.
Fitted out as a 48 gun Block and Training Ship for the Colony of Victoria.
1867, 20 October
Left Portsmouth via the Cape of Good Hope for Victoria.
1868, 4 February
Arrived in Victoria for use as a Naval Training Ship for boys.
1870, 10 October
Men of the Sandridge Corps of the Victorian Volunteer Naval Brigade, during the Brigade's first practise on board Nelson. Here seen with the 64 pounders on the Gun Deck.
1874, 2 March
Nelson was the fist ship to enter the recently completed Alfred Graving Dock.
Cruised to Dromana under sail & then to Point Nepean under steam.
Nelson with a single gun deck after having been cut down in 1878. The ship was then rated as a frigate & carried 30 guns. The funnel is in the lowered position. Details
1898, 28 April
After being sold Nelson, was towed to Sydney by the tug Eagle. On being cut down a third time the lower part of the ship was turned into a lighter & used as a coal hulk, Still named Nelson it was used on the river Tamar for the Beaconfield gold mine in Tasmania. The upper sections were sliced off one at a time & converted into at least four coal barges.
The lower section of Nelson was used as a coal lighter for the Beaconsfield mine.
Nelson taken apart at Shag Bay on the Derwent River, Tasmania.
Did Nelson Go to Sea as a Line-of-Battleship?
29 December 1838 - " *New ships, never at sea. The following could be got ready in a few weeks. *Nelson 120"