5 August 2008
Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett says
the National Trust of Victoria will use $500,000
to stabilise the HMVS Cerberus.
Federal Heritage Minister Peter Garrett visited the site on July 25 to announce that $500,000 of "seed money" would be given to the National Trust to advance the project.
"This is an important part of our history, it's an important part of our naval history," Mr Garrett said.|
"Today's announcement ... should make sure we get on the path ... of the work that needs to be done to stabilise this very important heritage site and vessel,"
Friends of the Cerberus President John Rogers, whose group has been trying to raise about $7 million for raising and restoring the ship, said the money would help get the project going. But he said the "catastrophic collapse" of the ship could happen "any day".
Goldstein Liberal MP Andrew Robb said the money from the Federal Government was "a reasonable start".
He hoped it acted as a prompt for the State Government and the Australian navy to take action. But while the State Government welcomed the announcement, spokesman Michael Sinclair said there were no plans at present to provide funding for the Cerberus.
Last year the Cerberus was placed on the National Trust's "Our Heritage At Risk" national top 10 list the only Victorian entry.